Growing up, I’d always look forward to when my mom would make Cornflake Chicken. Since leaving for college and becoming a pescatarian, I haven’t had the dish in over two years, so I decided to use the same recipe but with tofu instead. Also, because of my love affair with all things coconut, I decided to add in coconut flakes to cornflake crumbs. It works great with shrimp, as well. In fact, I made the shrimp over winter break for my mom and got her seal of approval!
Baked Coconut Cornflake Tofu
1 block firm tofu
1/4 cup coconut flakes (I used reduced fat, unsweetened ones from Whole Foods)
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (or your choice bread crumbs)
1-2 egg whites
1. Drain and press tofu for 10-15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Cut tofu into small squares.
4. Place egg whites in one bowl and combine the coconut and cornflake crumbs in another.
5. Grab a handful of tofu cubes and place in egg bowl and then roll in crumb mix.
5. Lay out breaded cubes on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Make sure to flip them halfway for an even crisp!
Goes great with the tropical dressing as a dipping sauce!